Monday, November 23, 2009

Kids don't eat free at Don Pablo's on Sunday - don't even try it (even if a stupid iPhone app tells you to)


Last week, I saw an article in life hacker about an iPhone detailing locations where kids eat free. The act is actually called 'KidsEatFor' but when I searched the app store I ended up buying another app called 'Kids eat free'.

Every weekend, my wife and I spend the days with our little ones. Generally, we eat out at lunchtime so I thought this iPhone app would come in handy to save a couple bucks on these lunches.

So on Sunday, I looked at the list of locations where kids eat free and came up with Don Pablo's. Rather than just show up and trust a silly iPhone app, I thought it would be prudent to call ahead to verify the special. The app contains a button to call the restaurant. When I called and asked if they still have the 'Kids eat free' special, and and and and and the woman who answered the phone replied, "No, I mean hold on I will check." A couple minutes later she came back and said, "Yes we do have that special."

So my wife and I drive out there with our kids, sit down to eat. We were about to order but I asked our waiter if that special was running. The reason I asked is that I didn't see any signage indicating that special. The waiter told us no. I then told him that someone should educate the person answering the phone because I specifically called and asked before I came.

So I and my family got up and left the restaurant on principle. I felt like I was the victim of a bait and switch. I understand that they no longer have the special. However, I didn't appreciate the person answering the phone telling us something that wasn't true and wasting our time.

The manager Heather came running out to our car offering the special in order to get us back in. But at this point we felt like beggers who couldn't afford to pay for their kids meals. My wife was actually really embarrassed at my walking out to begin with. So we left.

Two ways this could have been handled better. When we told the waiter that the person on the phone told us that the special was in place, he could have gone back and asked the person who answered the phone to confirm the story and then asked the manager that although the special was no longer in place because the person answering the phone had made a mistake, they should stand by the special. The second way it could have been handled better is when I showed the manager the application on the iPhone, she could have said, "Thanks for bringing that to my attention I will instruct our phone answering staff that there is a mistake out there and that some customers may be inclined to believe the special exists that no longer does."

So bottom line: Don't trust an iPhone app for accuracy about kid's eating free but also be wary of the people answering the phone at restaurants. They might be as clueless as the app.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home